Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lexington in Oglethorpe County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Oglethorpe County

 
 
Oglethorpe County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 15, 2009
1. Oglethorpe County Marker
Inscription. This County created by Act of the Legislature Dec. 19, 1793, is named for Gen. James E. Oglethorpe, founder of Georgia. Born in London, England, Dec. 22, 1696, Oglethorpe left England in Nov. 1732 with 116 settlers and arrived at Yamacraw in Jan. 1733, where he established the settlement which is now the city of Savannah. He later brought over 150 Scotch Highlanders & some German Protestants from Salzburg. He returned finally to England in 1743 and resigned his Georgia Charter to the British Government in 1752. Always a friend of America, he died July 1, 1785.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Hi. (Marker Number 109-4.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 52.164′ N, 83° 6.672′ W. Marker is in Lexington, Georgia, in Oglethorpe County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 78) and Platt Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. The marker stands on the grounds of the Oglethorpe County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Lexington GA 30648, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. James T. Rayle Post No. 123 Monument (within shouting
Oglethorpe County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, October 4, 2015
2. Oglethorpe County Marker
distance of this marker); Oglethorpe County Veterans Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Gen. James Edward Oglethorpe (within shouting distance of this marker); Oglethorpe County Confederate Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Governor Gilmer’s Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Beth-Salem Presbyterian Church (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Meson Academy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wm H Crawford (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington.
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USGovernmentPolitical Subdivisions
 
Oglethorpe County Marker and the Oglethorpe County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 15, 2009
3. Oglethorpe County Marker and the Oglethorpe County Courthouse
The courthouse was built in 1887, for $30,000
Oglethorpe County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Scott, October 4, 2015
4. Oglethorpe County Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 31, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 827 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on December 31, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on October 21, 2014, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   3. submitted on December 31, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   4. submitted on October 21, 2014, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement