Dayton in Montgomery County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Mad River Road / Road From Cunningham's to Mad River
Side A: Mad River Road
The first overland route between Dayton and Cincinnati was cut by Daniel Cooper in 1795 to provide access to the new town of Dayton, located at the mouth of the Mad River in the Symmes Purchase. The survey, entered into the record by Cooper and Dr. John Hole, extended Harmer's Trace north from near Cunningham's Station on the Mill Creek to the mouth of the Mad River, establishing the earliest road between Cincinnati and Dayton. This five-mile segment between David Road and State Route 725 is the last remaining traceable portion retaining this name. Cooper, a miller, was instrumental in the early settlement of Dayton, and Dr. Hole, the first physician in Montgomery County, established his cabin in 1796 on this part of Mad River Road.
Side B: Road from Cunningham's to Mad River
Be it remembered that pursuant to an order of Court to Daniel Cooper, Daniel Griffing and John Hole on a petition of more than twelve citizens of the County aforesaid, the following survey of a road in the said County was made and reported, to wit, Beginning at Cunningham's Station, thence along the old road four miles and a half, thence North eleven miles, thence North twenty five degrees East thirteen miles; thence North forty degrees East three miles and a quarter, thence North three miles and a half,
Erected 2001 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Landmarks Foundation of Centerville-Washington Township and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 2-57.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 38.212′ N, 84° 13.005′ W. Marker is in Dayton, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Mad River Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is adjacent to the parking lot behind the Dayton Mall Medical Arts Building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2591 Miamisburg-Centerville Road (Ohio Route 725), Dayton OH 45459, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Washington Presbyterian Church Cemetery (was approx. 0.6 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Brigadier General Edmund Munger Woody's Market (approx. 3 miles away); Centerville Veterans Memorial (approx. 3 miles away); The Wright Seaplane Base / Wright Model G "Aeroboat" (approx. 3.1 miles away); Sugar Creek Baptist Church Cemetery (approx. 3.1 miles away); Wright Seaplane Base (was approx. 3.2 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Miamisburg Mound (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dayton.
1. Two identical markers
This is one of two identical markers, both on Mad River Road. the second is a little over three miles north, in David Cemetery. Both are in Kettering, Ohio. Both carry the number 2- 57.
— Submitted January 19, 2015, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio.
Categories. • Communications • Exploration • Industry & Commerce • Notable Persons • Political Subdivisions • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,312 times since then and 83 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 4. submitted on February 24, 2015, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio.