Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Branchville in Sussex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Branchville, NJ

Incorporated 1898

 
 
Branchville, NJ Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cheryl (Rome) Thom
1. Branchville, NJ Marker
Inscription. On or about the year 1690 William H. Beemer settled here on 1,000 acres of land and built the first mill. James Haggerty purchased this land in 1793 and built additional successful mills lending the area the name known as "Brantown" due to the many mills located here. Named "Branchville" in 1821 by Schoolmaster Samuel Bishop. The post office opened in 1824. William H. (Billy) Bell established a railroad line in 1869. In 1882 a devastating fire ravaged most of the Village of Branchville. Charles Crisman erected a dam and powerhouse along the Culver Brook to generate power in 1892.
 
Erected 2005 by Sussex County Board of Chosen Freeholders and Sussex County Historic Marker Committee.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the New Jersey, Sussex County Board of Chosen Freeholders marker series.
 
Location. 41° 8.862′ N, 74° 45.059′ W. Marker is in Branchville, New Jersey, in Sussex County. Marker is on County Route 519. Touch for map. This marker is located in the Branchville Borough Municipal Park, Wantage Avenue. Marker is in this post office area: Branchville NJ 07826, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sussex Railroad (approx. mile away); Augusta Hill Baptists
Branchville, NJ Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cheryl (Rome) Thom, February 4, 2010
2. Branchville, NJ Marker
(approx. 2 miles away); Twin Bridges (approx. 3.1 miles away); Stokes State Forest (approx. 3.5 miles away); Northwest New Jersey Vietnam Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.6 miles away); The Lafayette Foundry (approx. 4.7 miles away); Unknown Soldier of the Revolution (approx. 5 miles away); Layton, New Jersey (approx. 6.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Branchville.
 
Categories. Colonial EraRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
 
Branchville, NJ Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cheryl (Rome) Thom, February 4, 2010
3. Branchville, NJ Marker
A memorial fountain located in Branchville Municipal Park. The plaque on the fountain reads:
Presented by Alfred Canfield to the Borough of Branchville, 1914.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 14, 2010, by Cheryl (Rome) Thom of Newton, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 902 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on January 14, 2010, by Cheryl (Rome) Thom of Newton, New Jersey.   2, 3. submitted on February 4, 2010, by Cheryl (Rome) Thom of Newton, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement