Upper Sandusky in Wyandot County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Wyandot Indian Council House
of Wyandot Indian Council House
1819 to Jan. 16, 1850.
Building was covered with bark.
First Wyandot County Teachers
Association organized Aug. 25, 1848.
First newspaper published in
Wyandot County March 1, 1845.
Wyandot County organized here
July 2, 1845.
Here was signed last peace treaty
with Indian tribes in Ohio Mar., 1842.
Erected 1956 by Wyandot County Historical Society.
Location. 40° 49.59′ N, 83° 16.525′ W. Marker is in Upper Sandusky, Ohio, in Wyandot County. Marker can be reached from East Wyandot Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. This historical marker is located in a city park just east of the Upper Sandusky downtown area, along the old US 30 (the Old Lincoln Highway), and just west of the Sandusky River. It is located at the base of a hill along the western boundary of the city park. Marker is in this post office area: Upper Sandusky OH 43351, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Col. William Crawford (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Ferree (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Lincoln Highway Departure of the Wyandot Indians (approx. 0.6 miles away); Wyandott Indian Mission (approx. 0.7 miles away); John Stewart (approx. 0.7 miles away); Wyandot Mission Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Battle Island (approx. 2½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Upper Sandusky.
Categories. • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 17, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,176 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 17, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.