Dorchester in Dorchester County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Four Holes Swamp
Col. Henry Hampton of State Troops of S.C. seized the bridge July 14, 1781, and established a post here to check Lord Rawdon on his retreat from Orangeburgh. Several actions took place here later in 1781 and in 1782.
The causeway and road were paved in 1928.
Location. 33° 8.561′ N, 80° 21.147′ W. Marker is in Dorchester, South Carolina, in Dorchester County. Marker can be reached from East Main Street (U.S. 178) near U.S. 78, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located in a small park, between the junction of the two highways. Marker is in this post office area: Dorchester SC 29437, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Revolutionary War Cannon (here, next to this marker); Four Holes Swamp Bridge / Harley's Tavern (here, next to this marker); Moorefield Memorial Highway, (Southern Terminus) (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Berkeley County (approx. 2.4 miles away); Dorchester (approx. 2½ miles away); Ridgeville Cypress Methodist Camp Ground (approx. 5.3 miles away); Spring Hill Methodist Church (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dorchester.
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 18, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,191 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 18, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.