Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Apalachicola in Franklin County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Raney House

 
 
The Raney House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, July 28, 2008
1. The Raney House Marker
Inscription. During the 1830's, when the cotton port of Apalachicola was rapidly expanding. David G. Raney built a rather plain, Federal style house at this site. Around 1850, A two - story portico and other features of the then popular Greek Revival architectural style were added to that structure. Raney, a native of Virginia, was a prosperous merchant who was prominent in many of the town's civic affairs. His eight children grew up in this home. A son, George Pettus Raney (born in 1845), served in the Confederate Army and then returned to Apalachicola to practice law until his election to the Florida Legislature in 1868. Later, George P. Raney served two Florida governors as Attorney General before becoming first a justice of the Florida Supreme Court and then its Chief Justice, a position he resigned in 1894. He practiced law until his death in 1911. Legend relates that ladies of Apalachicola met in the Raney house at the beginning of the Civil War to sew a battle flag for local Confederate troops. Legend also says that Franklin County troops were mustered out of service at the Raney House when the war ended. The Raney House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Erected 1976 by The Apalachicola Historic Board In Cooperation With Department Of State. (Marker Number F-270.)
 
Location.
The Raney House & Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, July 28, 2008
2. The Raney House & Marker
29° 43.698′ N, 84° 59.13′ W. Marker is in Apalachicola, Florida, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of Market Street and Avenue F, on the left when traveling north on Market Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 128 Market Street, Apalachicola FL 32320, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Methodist Episcopal Church South (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Hanserd-Fry House (about 700 feet away); When the River Was King! (about 700 feet away); Fort Coombs - Franklin Guards (about 700 feet away); The Dr. Alvan W. Chapman House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dr. John Gorrie (approx. 0.2 miles away); Franklin County (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Apalachicola.
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USGovernmentWar, US Civil
 
The Raney House image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, July 28, 2008
3. The Raney House
Interior view of the Raney House image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, July 28, 2008
4. Interior view of the Raney House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 20, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,013 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 20, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement