Birmingham in Jefferson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Oldest House In Shades Valley / Irondale Furnace Commissary
Cummings - Eastis - Beaumont House
(Continued on other side)
The log house, purchased from William Cummings in 1863 by Wallace S. McElwain, owner of the nearby Cahaba Iron Works or Irondale Furnace, was used for a commissary or company store. This was the first store in Shades Valley for the settlers to purchase supplies. Before this, it was necessary for them to make a long trip over Red Mountain to Elyton, then the county seat. Although the furnace was destroyed March 29, 1865 by Wilson's Raiders, the commissary was spared.
Location. 33° 30.582′ N, 86° 44.208′ W. Marker is in Birmingham, Alabama, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Montevallo Road west of Glenbrook Drive, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Birmingham AL 35213, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wallace S. McElwain / Irondale Furnace Ruins (approx. Mountain Brook (approx. 1.2 miles away); Forest Park (approx. 1.7 miles away); Canterbury United Methodist Church (approx. 1.8 miles away); Alabama Veterans Memorial (approx. 2 miles away); King's Spring (approx. 2.1 miles away); "Lest We Forget" (approx. 2.1 miles away); Robert Jemison, Jr. (1878-1974) / The Old Mill (1927) (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Birmingham.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 20, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 2,128 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 20, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.