Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Emma West Flats

 
 
Emma West Flats Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, July 8, 2007
1. Emma West Flats Marker
Inscription. After attorney Robert G. West (1860-1904) died, his widow Emma Grant West (1865-1952) had this structure built to provide rental income for support of their four children. Erected by contractors Fischer & Lambie in 1905, the brick edifice had one apartment on each floor, with servants’ quarters in the basement. In 1925 Mrs. West sold the rental property to Miss Katie Gannaway (1890-1967), an Austin teacher. It was restored by attorney Byron Lockhart and his wife Nina in 1973.
 
Erected 1976 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6451.)
 
Location. 30° 16.226′ N, 97° 44.879′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is on West 7th Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 511 W 7th St, Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. West-Bremond Cottage (within shouting distance of this marker); Joseph and Mary Robinson Martin House (within shouting distance of this marker); Ira Hobart Evans (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gilfillan House (about 400 feet away); Austin Woman’s Club
Emma West Flats image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, July 8, 2007
2. Emma West Flats
(about 500 feet away); Robinson-Macken House (about 500 feet away); Old B.J. Smith Property (about 600 feet away); The Boardman-Webb House (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
 
Categories. LandmarksNotable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 22, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 634 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 22, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement