Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Manor in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Kimbro

 
 
Kimbro Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, July 29, 2007
1. Kimbro Marker
Inscription. Named for pioneer landowner Lemuel Kimbro, this community was settled in the late 1870s by Swedish, Danish, and German immigrants. Most of the residents were cotton farmers, and at its height the community boasted homes, farms, the Swedish Evangelical Free Church of Kimbro, a school, a cotton gin, and two general stores. The school closed in 1947 when the nearby Manda consolidated school district was formed, and the church building was moved to Elgin in 1954. Many of Kimbro’s early settlers are buried here; some of their descendants still reside in the area.
 
Erected 1991 by the Texas Historical Commission.
 
Location. 30° 23.312′ N, 97° 28.323′ W. Marker is in Manor, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is on Kimbro Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Manor TX 78653, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Manda (approx. one mile away); Site of Willow Ranch School (approx. 1.1 miles away); New Sweden Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 1˝ miles away); Carlson (approx. 3 miles away); St. John Church (approx. 4.4 miles away); Lund (approx. 4.7 miles away); Bloor House (approx. 5.8 miles away); City of Manor (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Manor.
 
Also see . . .  Handbook of Texas Online. Kimbro, Texas (Submitted on January 23, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.) 
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 23, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 618 times since then and 64 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on January 23, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement