Lansing in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
First Michigan Sharpshooters
[There follows a list of the regiment's officers.]
[There follows a list of twenty battles in which the regiment participated.]
Capture of Petersburg, Virginia, April 3rd, 1865. The first regiment to enter the city and plant their flag on the court house. At the siege before Petersburg, Virginia, from June 17th, 1864 until April 3rd, 1865. Committee Comrades:
[There Follows the list of members of the committee who apparently arranged for the erection of the monument.]
Erected in October 1915.
Erected 1915 by State of Michigan.
Location. 42° 44.056′ N, 84° 33.25′ W. Marker is in Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker is at the intersection of Capitol Avenue and West Ottowa Street, on the right when traveling south on Capitol Avenue. Touch for map. On the southeast capitol lawn. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101-199 N Capitol Avenue, Lansing MI 48933, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Regiment Michigan Engineers (within shouting distance of this marker); Michigan (within shouting distance of this marker); Central United Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Austin Blair (within shouting distance of this marker); Michigan State Capitol (within shouting distance of this marker); Michigan State Capitol / Michigan's Three Capitols (within shouting distance of this marker); Lansing Labor Holiday (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Paul's Episcopal Church (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lansing.
More about this marker. Monument, consisting of a statue of a Civil War soldier aiming his rifle, and a base with bronze plaques attached, on the southeast corner of the State Capitol lawn at Allegan Street and Capitol Avenue, Lansing.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 20, 2010, by Al Barrera of Brownstown, Michigan. This page has been viewed 2,034 times since then and 149 times this year. Last updated on January 23, 2010, by Al Barrera of Brownstown, Michigan. Photo 1. submitted on January 20, 2010, by Al Barrera of Brownstown, Michigan. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Closeup photo of plaque at base of statue and any other plaques. • Can you help?