Bethlehem in Northampton County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Edwin L. Drake
Drilled first oil well in America in 1859 at Titusville, Pa. Lived at Bethlehem in this house for last seven years of his life, 1873-1880. In 1902 his remains were moved from Bethlehem to memorial monument erected at Titusville.
Erected 1959 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Location. 40° 36.638′ N, 75° 23.059′ W. Marker is in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, in Northampton County. Marker is on Wyandotte Street (Pennsylvania Route 378), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is adjacent to the Episcopal Diocese of Bethlehem office and about 200 feet SSW of the Episcopal Cathedral Church of the Nativity. Marker is at or near this postal address: 333 Wyandotte Street, Bethlehem PA 18015, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Robert H. Sayre (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Crown Inn (approx. 0.2 miles away); Eugene Gifford Grace (approx. 0.2 miles away); Charles M. Schwab (approx. 0.2 miles away); Catherine Drinker Bowen (approx. 0.3 miles away); John Fritz (approx. 0.4 miles away); Samuel Wetherill (approx. 0.4 miles away); Stephen Vincent Benét (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bethlehem.
Also see . . .
1. Col. Edwin L. Drake. (Submitted on January 24, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Edwin Laurentine Drake. (Submitted on January 24, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Edwin Drake at FindAGrave.com. (Submitted on July 20, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Exploration • Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 24, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 758 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 24, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.