Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Jackson in Butts County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Iron Springs

 
 
Iron Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 25, 2010
1. Iron Springs Marker
Inscription. On the night of Nov. 17, 1864, the Right Wing (15th and 17th Corps) of General Sherman’s army [US], which had marched south from Atlanta on Nov 15th on its destructive March to the Sea, reached Jackson and camped in and around the town. Hq. Right Wing, Maj. Gen. O.O. Howard, USA, and the headquarters of both corps were established in Jackson. Elements of the 17th Corps (Blair) moved forward to Iron Springs and camped here on the road to Planter’s Factory (Ocmulgee Mills) at Seven Islands (5 miles SE), the point which had been selected for the passage of the Right Wing over the Ocmulgee River. G. A. Smith’s Division of the 17th Corps, with the pontoon bridge of the Right Wing, camped near Worthville (7 miles NW). That night, the 29th Missouri Mounted Infantry seized the ferry at Seven Islands and secured both banks of the river for the passage.

Next morning, the 1st Missouri Engineers passed through Iron Springs with the pontoons and, by 1:00 P.M., two bridges were ready and crossing operations had begun. Late that night, the 17th Corps having cleared Iron Springs, the Artillery Brigade arrived and went into camp. Although both bridges were in use day and night, heavy rains had made the roads so difficult that the passage was not completed until the afternoon of the 20th.
 
Erected 1957
Iron Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 25, 2010
2. Iron Springs Marker
Looking east on Georgia Highway 16, the route of the Right Wing, toward Monticello
by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 018-4.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission, and the Shermans March to the Sea marker series.
 
Location. 33° 17.294′ N, 83° 54.411′ W. Marker is near Jackson, Georgia, in Butts County. Marker is at the intersection of Georgia Route 16 and Pratt Smith Road, on the right when traveling east on State Route 16. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jackson GA 30233, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sherman’s Right At Indian Springs (approx. 3 miles away); Indian Spring (approx. 3 miles away); McIntosh House (approx. 3 miles away); Home of Robert Grier (approx. 3.1 miles away); Butts County Confederate Monument (approx. 3˝ miles away); Jackson (approx. 3˝ miles away); Crossing the Ocmulgee (approx. 3˝ miles away); The Right Wing at Jackson (approx. 3˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Iron Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 25, 2010
3. Iron Springs Marker
Looking west on Georgia Highway 16, toward Jackson
Iron Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 25, 2010
4. Iron Springs Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 29, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,252 times since then and 100 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 29, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement