Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Birmingham in Jefferson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Independent Presbyterian Church

Founded 1915

 
 
Independent Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, May 16, 2009
1. Independent Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription. The church was founded when the Rev. Henry M. Edmonds and many members of a Southern Presbyterian congregation withdrew from the local Presbytery. During the first seven years it met in Temple Emanu-El synagogue and held evening services in the Lyric Theater downtown. In 1922, Independent Presbyterian joined what is now the Presbyterian Church USA (PCUSA). The congregation has focused on the use of beauty in every form as well as community service, which led to the establishment of the Childrenís Fresh Air Farm camp and Kirkwood - by - the - River retirement community. The church initiated the first programs in Alabama in public health, child welfare and legal aid. The sanctuary, completed in 1926, has stained glass windows by D' Ascenzo Studios and an organ by E. M. Skinner Co. Large sections of the church burned in 1992; reconstruction and additions were completed in 1995.
 
Erected by Birmingham - Jefferson Historical Society.
 
Location. 33° 30.48′ N, 86° 46.776′ W. Marker is in Birmingham, Alabama, in Jefferson County. Marker is at the intersection of Highland Avenue South and 31st Street South, on the right when traveling west on Highland Avenue South. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3100 Highland Avenue South, Birmingham AL 35205, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Independent Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, May 16, 2009
2. Independent Presbyterian Church
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A.B. Loveman House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Coe House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Donnelly House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jordan Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of the First Alabama - Auburn Football Game (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Vincentís Hospital (approx. half a mile away); The Little Theater Clark Memorial Theatre Virginia Samford Theatre (approx. half a mile away); Redmont Park Historic District (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Birmingham.
 
Also see . . .  History and interior views of the Independent Presbyterian Church. (Submitted on February 1, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Independent Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, May 16, 2009
3. Independent Presbyterian Church
Temple Emanu-El Synagogue image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, June 16, 2008
4. Temple Emanu-El Synagogue
The building with the dome roof. The Temple is located at Highland Avenue South and Richard Arrington Blvd South near Five Points South.
The Lyric Theatre image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, March 10, 2008
5. The Lyric Theatre
Built in 1914, the Lyric Theatre is a former vaudeville and movie theater located on the corner of 3rd Avenue North and 18th Street North downtown Birmingham.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 1, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,355 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 1, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement