Birmingham in Jefferson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Morris Avenue Historic District / Elyton Land Company (Successor, Birmingham Realty Co.)
This Historic District is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Birmingham was founded in 1871 by the Elyton Land Company whose offices were located on Morris Avenue and Twentieth Street.
The company was composed principally of Montgomery citizens, James R. Powell was the first president and Captain William P. Barker was chief engineer and surveyor. Due to his foresight Birmingham was designed with broad streets and avenues. Dr. Henry M. Caldwell was the second president of the company and Willis J. Milner was Secretary.
Elyton Land Company office also housed the water works and Highland Avenue Belt Railroad offices.
Erected 1974 by Jefferson County Historical Commission.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20th Street North, Birmingham AL 35203, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Heaviest Corner On Earth (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Rainbow Viaduct (about 500 feet away); The Berry Project (about 600 feet away); Dewberry Drugs and Phenix Insurance Company Buildings (about 700 feet away); S. H. Kress Five-And-Ten Cent Store (approx. ¼ mile away); Title Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Concord Center (approx. ¼ mile away); Jefferson County Courthouse Site (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Birmingham.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 3, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,824 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on February 3, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.