Newton in Sussex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
In 1908 architect J.J. Vreeland added an upper story and Classical porch to the County Clerk and Surrogate Offices, built by Brink & Knox in 1859. It became the County Park Building in 1930. The Romanesque Revival Hill Fountain was built of local limestone in 1895 by gift from Joshua Hill, a native of Sussex County.
Erected 2000 by Sussex County Board of Chosen Freeholders.
Marker series. This marker is included in the New Jersey, Sussex County Board of Chosen Freeholders marker series.
Location. 41° 3.518′ N, 74° 45.207′ W. Marker is in Newton, New Jersey, in Sussex County. Marker is at the intersection of High Street (U.S. 206) and Spring Street, on the left when traveling south on High Street. Touch for map. Marker is located across the street from the Sussex County Court House. Marker is in this post office area: Newton NJ 07860, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sussex County Veterans Memorial (here, next to this marker); Sussex County (here, next to this marker); Defenders of the Union Newton Green (about 300 feet away); Home of Thomas Anderson (about 600 feet away); George Washington Tree (about 700 feet away); The Hill Memorial (about 700 feet away); Old Newton Burial Ground (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newton.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 1, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 974 times since then and 33 times this year. Last updated on February 8, 2010, by Cheryl (Rome) Thom of Newton, New Jersey. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 1, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.