Frederick in Frederick County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Mark the course of the struggle
for American Independence
Built in 1777 by the British and Hessian prisoners of the Revolutionary War, here were detained those taken at the Battles of Saratoga, Trenton, and Yorktown, also the French prisoners captured from the frigate “L’Insurgent” by the United States frigate “Constellation” the first capture of the Navy in 1799, also the British prisoners taken in War of 1812 at Bladensburg, and during the attack upon Baltimore at North Point and Fort McHenry, September 12-14, 1814, the gallant defense of which inspired
to write the American national anthem
“The Star-Spangled Banner”
Erected by members of
the National Star-Spangled Banner Centennial Pilgrimage
September 14, 1914
Erected 1914 by National Star-Spangled Banner Centennial Pilgrimage.
Location. 39° 24.542′ N, 77° 24.589′ W. Marker is in Frederick, Maryland, in Frederick County. Marker can be reached from Clarke Place, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located on the campus of the Maryland School of the Deaf, on the
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hessian Barracks - Witness to History (a few steps from this marker); “The Great Baby Waker” (a few steps from this marker); Historic Frederick Barracks (a few steps from this marker); The Frederick Town Barracks (a few steps from this marker); United States Army General Hospital #1 (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Frederick Town Barracks (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Freight Depot (approx. ¼ mile away); Gen. Bradley T. Johnson (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frederick.
Also see . . . Hessian Barracks. A Revolutionary war prison and Civil War hospital (Submitted on September 26, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • War of 1812 • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,425 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 26, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.