Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Griffin in Spalding County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Ringold Community

 
 
Ringold Community Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 25, 2010
1. Ringold Community Marker
Inscription. Older than Spalding County, Ringold Community grew around the two-story Ringold Masonic Lodge 90 building erected here in 1852. The lodge was established Oct. 31, 1849 at what became Walker’s Mill (1 mi. S). First Worshipful Master was Wiley J. Heflin. Marion Patrick served as Worshipful Master for over 30 years, longer than any other one man, and his son, George W. Patrick, Sr., one of the county’s most distinguished citizens, was Worshipful Master in 1949, the 100th birthday of the lodge.

In 1860, a company of volunteers, the Ringold Rangers, was organized across the road from the lodge house. Officially designated as Company C, 13th Georgia Infantry, it fought through the War Between the States. In 1879, Ringold Christian Church was established on lodge property across the road.

In 1922, the Mother Club, which became one of the first Home Demonstration Clubs, was founded here. First members were: President Mary Gaillard and Mesdames T. T. Henderson, Joe P. Manley, A. W. Edwards, P.P. Patrick, John Parham, W. P. Walker, Roswell Welden, Leon Pullin, G. W. Patrick, W. P. Nutt, T. W. Rhodes, T. Walter Futral, J. Mitchell Walker, W. J. Burks, William S. Patrick, Grover C. Patrick. Mrs. Myrtle Sibley was home demonstration agent at the time and Tap Bennett was county agent.
 
Erected
Ringold Community Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 25, 2010
2. Ringold Community Marker
Looking across Jackson Road to the Ringold Christian Church
1959 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 126-16.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 17.157′ N, 84° 9.763′ W. Marker is near Griffin, Georgia, in Spalding County. Marker is on Jackson Road 0 miles east of Wisso Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4337 Jackson Road, Griffin GA 30223, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Locust Grove Institute (approx. 5.4 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 5.5 miles away); In Memoriam (approx. 5.9 miles away); Spalding County (approx. 5.9 miles away); To the Women of Griffin and Spalding County (approx. 5.9 miles away); Confederate Cemetery (approx. 5.9 miles away); Georgia Militia at Griffin (approx. 5.9 miles away); The Orphan Brigade (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Griffin.
 
Also see . . .  History and Legend. This Griffin Daily News article from Oct 5, 1969, provides some history on the masonic lodge. It was built on the McIntosh trail on land donated by William M. Welden. McIntosh would stay over with the Weldens on his ventures
Ringold Community Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 25, 2010
3. Ringold Community Marker
Looking west on Jackson Road toward Griffin
east and west. William was a Mason and owned considerable farm land. (Submitted on February 15, 2010, by Charles D Johnson of Griffin/ringold, Georgia.) 
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USChurches, Etc.EducationFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsGovernmentWar, US Civil
 
Ringold (or Ringgold) Masonic Lodge image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 25, 2010
4. Ringold (or Ringgold) Masonic Lodge
Ringold (or Ringgold) Masonic Lodge Cornerstone image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 25, 2010
5. Ringold (or Ringgold) Masonic Lodge Cornerstone
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 11, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,071 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 11, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement