Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Roscoe in Coshocton County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

James LeRetilley Building - 1847

 
 
James LeRetilley Building - 1847 Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., November 29, 2009
1. James LeRetilley Building - 1847 Marker
Inscription.
James LeRetilley Sr. purchased the building in 1849, a year before his death. In 1825, he moved to Caldersburgh from Muskingum County and opened a general store. He was the first postmaster in Caldersburgh (1826). After the canal opened, LeRetilley and a business partner built a warehouse and began shipping grain. He later became part owner of the Union Mill Company. From 1835-1842, LeRetilley was an associate judge for Coshocton County.

This building was the location of Roscoe's last post office which closed in 1961.
 
Erected by Roscoe Village Foundation.
 
Location. 40° 16.735′ N, 81° 52.599′ W. Marker is in Roscoe, Ohio, in Coshocton County. Marker is on Whitewoman Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 355 North Whitewoman Street, Coshocton OH 43812, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Roscoe Building - 1840 (a few steps from this marker); Dr. Maro Johnson's Office - 1842 (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Maro Johnson's House - c.1833 (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Warehouse
James LeRetilley Building image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., November 29, 2009
2. James LeRetilley Building
Building at left edge of photograph, barely visible. Roscoe Building at center of photo.
(within shouting distance of this marker); Wilson Jacob House - c.1890 (within shouting distance of this marker); Daniel Boyd House - c.1825 (within shouting distance of this marker); Jacob Welsh House - c.1840 (within shouting distance of this marker); 24 Star Flag (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Roscoe.
 
Also see . . .  Roscoe Village Foundation. (Submitted on February 11, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Additional keywords. Ohio and Erie Canal
 
Categories. AgricultureCommunicationsGovernmentIndustry & CommerceNotable BuildingsNotable PersonsPolitical SubdivisionsSettlements & Settlers
 
James LeRetilley Building image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, August 27, 2016
3. James LeRetilley Building
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 11, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 765 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 11, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.   3. submitted on August 30, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photograph with full view of the LeRetilley building. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement