Historic Ironville in Essex County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Birthplace of the Electrical Age
Allen Penfield, Timothy Taft, and Allen Harwood pioneered the first industrial use of electricity in their iron works below the pond south of the marker. Thomas Davenport, the blacksmith of Brandon, Vermont, in 1833 bought the electro-magnet used in his forge, which led to his invention of the electric motor.
This marker presented by descendants of Penfield and Harwood, Ruth Harwood Shattuck and Ann Harwood Orbison.
Erected 1959 by Descendants of Penfield and Harwood.
Location. 43° 55.351′ N, 73° 32.152′ W. Marker is in Historic Ironville, New York, in Essex County. Marker is at the intersection of Penfield (Whitehead) Road and Creek Road (County Highway 2), on the right when traveling north on Penfield (Whitehead) Road. Touch for map. Marker is on the grounds of the Penfield Homestead Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 703 Creek Rd, Historic Ironville, Crown Point NY 12928, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A landscape filled with legend and activity . . . (approx. 5.2 miles away); Streetroad Cemetery (approx. 5.2 miles away); Old Military Road Israel Putnam (approx. 5.9 miles away); Rogersí Rangers (was approx. 7.1 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Hancock House (approx. 7.2 miles away); Liberty Monument (approx. 7.2 miles away); Hon. Clayton Harris DeLano (approx. 7.6 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Penfield Homestead Museum. (Submitted on February 14, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Thomas Davenport. Inventor of the electric motor. (Submitted on February 14, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Capt. James Penfield, 5th NY Cavalry.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 14, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 857 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 14, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.