Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Griffin in Spalding County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Georgia Experiment Station

<------<<<<

 
 
Georgia Experiment Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 25, 2010
1. Georgia Experiment Station Marker
Inscription. The Georgia Experiment Station, one of the first State Agricultural Experiment Stations established in this country, was located in Spalding County, Georgia in 1888. The primary objective of its work program is to develop information which will aid in improving the living standards of the people in Georgia, particularly those interested in agriculture. It has pioneered in the development of improved crop varieties. Among the outstanding crop varieties developed at this institution are Empire cotton, Chancellor and Bledsoe wheats, Dixie crimson clover, Arlington oats, Georgia 101 corn, Dixie Spanish and Southeastern Runner 56-15 peanuts, Hunt, Dulcet, and Higgins muscadine grapes and Truhart pimiento. The institution has also received noteworthy acclaim for its outstanding work in the field of food preservation, development of improved cultural and pest control practices with peaches, evaluation of forages for dairy and beef animals, control of weeds by use of chemicals, for studies in the placement and use of new fertilizer materials, and for its promotion of a soils testing program.
 
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 126-12.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location.
Georgia Experiment Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 25, 2010
2. Georgia Experiment Station Marker
Experiment Street is in the background, with north to the left in the photo.
33° 15.866′ N, 84° 16.9′ W. Marker is in Griffin, Georgia, in Spalding County. Marker is at the intersection of Experiment Street and Stuckey Drive, on the left when traveling north on Experiment Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Griffin GA 30223, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old McIntosh Road (approx. 0.7 miles away); Confederate Camp (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Confederate Camp (approx. 0.9 miles away); Founding of Griffin (approx. 1.3 miles away); a different marker also named Founding of Griffin (approx. 1.5 miles away); Lewis Lawrence Griffin (approx. 1.6 miles away); The City of Griffin (approx. 1.6 miles away); Spalding County (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Griffin.
 
Also see . . .  The history of the Georgia Experiment Station. The New Georgia Encyclopedia article. (Submitted on February 17, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.) 
 
Categories. AgricultureEducationGovernmentHorticulture & Forestry
 
Georgia Experiment Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 25, 2010
3. Georgia Experiment Station Marker
Looking west on Stuckey Drive into the Experiment Station buildings and labs
Georgia Experiment Station from Experiment Street image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 25, 2010
4. Georgia Experiment Station from Experiment Street
Georgia Experiment Station Main Building image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 25, 2010
5. Georgia Experiment Station Main Building
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 15, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 862 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 15, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement