Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Brentsville in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Brentsville - Union Church

 
 
Brentsville - Union Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., September 26, 2007
1. Brentsville - Union Church Marker
Inscription. Brentsville Union Church was built ca. 1880. The church sits on a lot deeded to The Trustees of the Union Church in 1871 by George M. Goodwin, who owned Tavern Square. It was erected “for the use of the Congregation of the Methodist Episcopal Church south, the Presbyterian Episcopalian, the New and both branches of the old school Baptist Churches, worshiping in Brentsville”.

(caption of picture in lower left) On June 21, 1871, the Alexandria Gazette solicited support for Brentsville ladies’ effort to build a new church. Brentsville’s church would be “…free to white ministers…”. African Americans would worship elsewhere.
* Prince William County Deed Book 48, page 472

Full text from Alexandria Gazette article:
     Church at Brentsville, Prince William co., VA. – I am requested to inform your readers that a delegation of ladies from this village will visit your city some day this week fully authorized to solicit contributions from your liberal people to aid in the erection of a church proposed to be built here. A festival will be held on the Court green,
Union Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., September 26, 2007
2. Union Church and Marker
here Monday next, by the ladies, the proceeds of which willl be appropriated to the above named purpose. The Hotel proprietors in the place have very generously declined furnishing any dinner that day, so that the ample repast spread by the ladies may be enjoyed by all. Every delicacy the season affords will be procured.
     It is hoped your merchants and citizens generally will lend thses ladies a helping hand and contribute liberally to the object they have in view. The church will be free to white ministers of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, Presbyterian, Episcopal, the New and both branches of the Old School Baptist church.
Brentsville, Va., June 21.      Tyrone.

(caption of picture in center top) Members of the local Presbyterian congregation visit outside the Union Church in ca. 1920.

Local Churches

The location and date of Brentsville’s first church are unknown. The Broad Run Church, or Slaty Run Church, was built ca. 1754 on present-day Old Church Road. Other churches served the area, but their locations and dates are unspecific.

Little is known about local African-American churches. White congregations
The History of Brentsville awaits visitors. image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., September 26, 2007
3. The History of Brentsville awaits visitors.
New markers, installed in May 2007, line the path between Brenstville County Jail (in the far distance) and the Brentsville Union Church (behind the photographer). The Brentsville - Union Church Marker is immediately to the front.
met in the Courthouse occasionally. Saint James Episcopal Church was built on present-day Barbee Street in 1846 and is still in use. The current Presbyterian Church was constructed in 1952.

The Restoration

The Brentsville Union Church is a simple vernacular country church. Local congregations worshiped here into the 1960s, when the building was used for storage and then abandoned. Beginning in 2001, the Church was saved from collapse and restored to its original appearance.

(caption in picture on left, center) The cupola posts were cut before the cupola was removed for restoration. It now houses the original bell. The Church received a new copper roof, new mechanical and electrical systems, and a new coat of paint.
Photo by Ray Goodrow

(caption in picture on left, bottom) Restoration began in 2001 when the new foundation was laid. By 2006, new walls, heart pine floors and reproduced pews were installed.
Photo by Ray Goodrow
 
Erected 2007 by Prince William County and the Friends of Brentsville Courthouse Historic Centre.
 
Location.
Close up of <i>Alexandria Gazette</i> article. image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., September 26, 2007
4. Close up of Alexandria Gazette article.
38° 41.392′ N, 77° 30.082′ W. Marker is in Brentsville, Virginia, in Prince William County. Marker is on Bristow Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12235 Bristow Road, Bristow VA 20136, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brentsville – 1822 Tavern Site (here, next to this marker); Brentsville – The Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); Brentsville – Outbuildings (within shouting distance of this marker); Brentsville –Tavern Cellar (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Brentsville – 1822 Tavern Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Brentsville – Tavern Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Brentsville – Clerks’ Office (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Brentsville - One-Room School (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brentsville.
 
More about this marker. Marker was installed in May 2007.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial Era
 
Inside of Union Church image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., September 26, 2007
5. Inside of Union Church
Picture taken through SW front window.
Union Church image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., September 26, 2007
6. Union Church
Union Church image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., September 26, 2007
7. Union Church
Saint James Episcopal Church (now Hatcher’s Memorial Baptist). image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., September 26, 2007
8. Saint James Episcopal Church (now Hatcher’s Memorial Baptist).
Saint James Episcopal Church (now Hatcher’s Memorial Baptist Church), built on present-day Barbee Street in 1846 and still in use, is within site of this marker. The current Presbyterian Church, constructed in 1952, is on Bristow Road about 400 feet east.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 1, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,428 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on October 1, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement