Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Camden in Kershaw County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Camden

 
 
Camden (#2) Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cindy Bullard, February 16, 2010
1. Camden (#2) Marker
Inscription. This area, first held by Wateree and Catawba Indians, was laid out as Fredericksburg Township in 1733. Here on the Catawba Path the trading town of Pine Tree Hill was settled. In 1769 courts were set up and the town named Camden in honor of Lord Camden, friend of the colonies. During the Revolution, Camden was the center of British activity in this region. It was incorporated in 1791.
 
Erected 1958. (Marker Number 28-4.)
 
Location. 34° 14.809′ N, 80° 36.107′ W. Marker is in Camden, South Carolina, in Kershaw County. Marker is on Dekalb Street (U.S. 1), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at Hampton Park. Marker is in this post office area: Camden SC 29020, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Richard Kirkland (within shouting distance of this marker); The De Kalb Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); E.H. Dibble Store / Eugene H. Dibble (approx. 0.3 miles away); King Haiglar Tower (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Bishop Davis House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Baruch Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); Action at Logtown (approx. 0.4 miles away); In Honor and Rememberance (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Camden.
 
Categories. Colonial Era
 
Hampton Park image. Click for full size.
By Cindy Bullard, February 16, 2010
2. Hampton Park
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 17, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 773 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 17, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement