Monroe in Monroe County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Monroe County Since 1817
Then the old settlement of Frenchtown which centered upon this square took the name of Monroe and became the county seat, September, 1817.
At first Monroe County included the lands now Lenawee and Washtenaw Counties. After the latter were established Lenawee was attached to Monroe County for administration, 1822-1826.
Controversy over the country's southern boundary culminated in the bloodless Michigan-Ohio war 1835-36. In settlement the U.S. Congress gave to Ohio Monroe County lands that became Toledo. Michigan in return obtained its Upper Peninsula.
Erected by Monroe County Historical Society.
Location. 41° 54.895′ N, 83° 23.81′ W. Marker is in Monroe, Michigan, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of East First Street and Washington Street on East First Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 106 East First Street, Monroe MI 48161, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Whipping Post Doctor Eduard Dorsch (within shouting distance of this marker); Historical Museum (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Historic Crossroad (about 600 feet away); Editor Ellis, 1825 (about 700 feet away); Monroe's Soldiers (about 800 feet away); Monroe Street Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monroe.
Categories. • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 17, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 796 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 18, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.