Oakalla in Burnet County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
About 1875 William H. Reavis (1821-1885) and his wife Harritt (Ellis) Reavis (1830-1893) purchased land along the Lampasas River east of this site. William and Harritt and a large number of their descendants are buried here. In 1895 John Priest, Sr., (1839-1908) and Mary (Castleberry) Priest (1841-1925) purchased a significant portion of the Tobeys’ original estate, including this cemetery. John and Mary Priest and many of their descendants also are buried here. Successive generations of the Reavis and Priest families have owned land in this area of Tobey Valley.
Tobey Cemetery contains the burials of many of the pioneer families and their descendants who lived in Tobey Valley including the Bell, Williams, Shed, Castleberry, and Black families. This historic cemetery is maintained by a cemetery association.
Erected 1994 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13394.)
Location. 31° 0.137′ N, 97° 54.135′ W. Marker is in Oakalla, Texas, in Burnet County. Marker is on CR-221 0.1 miles east of FM-2657, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Killeen TX 76543, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oakalla (approx. 1.7 miles away); Gillum Cemetery (approx. 2.7 miles away); Smith Cemetery (approx. 5 miles away); Briggs State Bank (approx. 8 miles away); The Community of Briggs (approx. 8.3 miles away); Prairie View Cemetery (approx. 9.8 miles away); Battle Branch (approx. 12 miles away); Mahomet-Sycamore Springs Community (approx. 12.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oakalla.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 20, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,116 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on February 20, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.