Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Bell Tavern

 
 
Bell Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, February 18, 2010
1. Bell Tavern Marker
Inscription.
To mark the site of
Bell Tavern
used as a
Recruiting Station
during the War of 1812

Erected by the Dorothy Payne Madison Chapter
N.S.U.S. Daughters 1812, VA

 
Erected by National Society United States Daughters of 1812.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the United States Daughters of 1812 marker series.
 
Location. 37° 32.074′ N, 77° 25.807′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and North 15th Street, on the left when traveling east on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond VA 23219, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Odd Fellows Hall (here, next to this marker); Reconciliation Statue (within shouting distance of this marker); Slave Auction Site (within shouting distance of this marker); The Triangle (within shouting distance of this marker); Auction Houses (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Old State Capitol (about 700
The Bell Tavern plaque is mounted in the wall image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, February 18, 2010
2. The Bell Tavern plaque is mounted in the wall
feet away); Kahal Kadosh Beth Shalome (about 700 feet away); The General Assembly of Virginia (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
 
Regarding Bell Tavern. The Bell Tavern was located...on the site of Bowler's Tavern. The tavern was opened in December 1803, demolished in 1846, and rebuilt as the New City Hotel. ...The Bell was a popular meeting place. Washington and Lafayette were reportedly entertained there, and the tavern was used during the War of 1812 as a recruiting station. Nathan Bell owned the property upon which the tavern was built and operation of the tavern was leased to a succession of managers. Library of Virginia

Many of the early public auctions of slaves in Richmond took place on the streets. As the industry
developed further, the auctions moved to the taverns frequented by the traders. Bell Tavern was the
center of the slave trade during the first part of the 1800s. ...the tavern was the site of many slave auctions and housed the offices of at least two slave trading firms. R.H. Dickinson and Thomas Taliaferro had offices at Bell Tavern. Virginia Department of Historic Resources
 
Also see . . .
E Main & N 15th Streets image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, February 18, 2010
3. E Main & N 15th Streets
 The National Society United States Daughters of 1812. (Submitted on February 21, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
 
Categories. African AmericansAntebellum South, USWar of 1812
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 21, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,176 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 21, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement