Sumter in Sumter County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Potter's Headquarters / Federal Order Of Battle
Federal troops commanded by Brig. Gen. Edward E. Potter, on a raid through this area in the last days of the Civil War, advanced to Sumter after defeating a small Confederate force at Dingle’s Mill on April 9, 1865. The Augustus Solomon House, which stood on this site, was Potter’s headquarters April 9-11. His troops left Sumter April 11 to carry out the destruction of Confederate trains at Manchester.
Federal Order Of Battle
Potter’s Provisional Division, Military District of the South: First Brigade (Infantry): 25th Ohio, 107th Ohio, 157th N.Y., 56th N.Y. (2 companies) Second Brigade (Infantry): 54th Mass. (Colored), 32nd and 102nd U.S. Colored Troops.
Other Units: 4th Mass. Cavalry (2 companies), 3rd N.Y. Light Artillery (Battery F), 1st N.Y. Engineers.
Erected 2002 by The Sumter County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 43-32.)
Location. 33° 55.349′ N, 80° 20.485′ W. Marker is in Sumter, South Carolina, in Sumter County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and Law Range, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Touch for map. Located at the Sumter County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 141 North Main Street, Sumter SC 29150, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Sumter's Court Houses (a few steps from this marker); Sumter World War II Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); General Thomas Sumter 1734 -1832 (within shouting distance of this marker); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Tuomey Hospital (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sumter Vietnam Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sumterville Academy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sumter District Confederate Dead (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sumter.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. More about Potter's Raid
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 22, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,168 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 23, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.