Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Milford in New Haven County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Simon Lake's Explorer Submarine

 
 
Simon Lake's Explorer Submarine image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, January 7, 2010
1. Simon Lake's Explorer Submarine
The missing marker was on the wooden stand to the right of the submarine.
Inscription.
Simon Lake's Explorer Submarine
The Explorer, completed in 1936, was the last boat built by the pioneering submarine designer and builder, Simon Lake. The Explorer was intended strictly for research and salvage and was linked to a mother ship for air and power. Divers could enter and leave the submarine through an escape hatch. The boat was also equipped with a mechanical arm and basket. Like Simon Lake's first great submarine, The Argonaut, Jr. (1894), the Explorer could travel under water either by the propeller or along the ocean floor on drive wheels.
 
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 41° 13.265′ N, 73° 3.322′ W. Marker was in Milford, Connecticut, in New Haven County. Marker was on Helwig Street 0.1 miles north of Armory Lane, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located at the Milford Landing Marina. Marker was at or near this postal address: 37 Helwig Street, Milford CT 06460, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Landing Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Milford Memorial Stone Bridge (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Milford (about 700 feet away); Milford World War II Memorial
Simon Lake's Explorer Submarine Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Barchuck, August 29, 2000
2. Simon Lake's Explorer Submarine Marker
The blue marker can be seen on the wooden stand just to the left of the front wheel.
(about 700 feet away); Milford Volunteer Fire Department (approx. 0.2 miles away); Eells - Stow House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Milford Memorial Flag Pole (approx. 0.2 miles away); Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milford.
 
More about this marker. Thanks to Jim Barchuck for permission to use his pictures.
 
Also see . . .
1. The Simon Lake Submarine Web Site. (Submitted on February 23, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Simon Lake's Explorer Submarine. (Submitted on February 23, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
Categories. Waterways & Vessels
 
Simon Lake's Explorer Submarine image. Click for full size.
By Jim Barchuck, August 29, 2000
3. Simon Lake's Explorer Submarine
The collection basket is hanging from the extender arm, in front of the wheel.
Simon Lake's Explorer Submarine image. Click for full size.
By Jim Barchuck, August 29, 2000
4. Simon Lake's Explorer Submarine
Close-up of the front wheel. At the lower left is a maneuvering propeller on a swing arm. Round viewing ports are under the overhang and above the swing arm.
Simon Lake's Explorer Submarine image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, January 7, 2010
5. Simon Lake's Explorer Submarine
At the stern is the pivoting rear wheel and main propellor.
Small marker next to submarine image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, January 7, 2010
6. Small marker next to submarine
In Memory Of
J. Lloyd Fleming
May 25, 1939 – October 14, 2003
Who Played a Significant Role In
Locating This Historic Submarine
On This Site.
In Grateful Appreciation For His
Numerous Contributions to the
City of Milford
Simon Lake's Explorer Submarine Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, August 21, 2010
7. Simon Lake's Explorer Submarine Marker
The Marker Has Been Restored. Seen at the Milford Oyster Festival, August 21, 2010.
Simon Lake's Explorer Submarine Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, August 21, 2010
8. Simon Lake's Explorer Submarine Marker
The Restored Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 20, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 23, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 1,531 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 23, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.   7, 8. submitted on September 12, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.
Paid Advertisement