Round Rock in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Rev. Edward Hudson – Rev. John Hudson
In the Civil War, Rev. Edward Hudson in March 1862 joined Co. G, 6th Regiment, Confederate army. Wounded Oct. 1862 in battle of Corinth, was made chaplain afterwards, to succeed man killed in that same battle. In Aug. 1864, on duty in Georgia, was shot and critically wounded. Though crippled, preached and taught in various Texas counties until shortly before his death, Aug. 17, 1877.
Rev. John Hudson enlisted in April 1862 in Co. H 19th Texas Cavalry. Commissioned in March 1863, he served as chaplain for the rest of the war. After preaching here for many years, died Feb. 22, 1914.
On same pay and rations as privates, a chaplain had multiple duties: religious services, teaching men to read and write, counseling, sick visits, handling the mail, writing letters and reading to illiterates, removal of dead and wounded from the battlefield, baptisms, funerals.
The Hudsons may have been only Texas brothers enrolled in this valuable Confederate service.
Erected 1964 by the Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 12702.)
Location. 30° 31.474′ N, 97° 38.016′ W. Marker is in Round Rock, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on East Palm Valley Boulevard (U.S. 79). Touch for map. Just west of the entrane to Old Settlers Park. Marker is in this post office area: Round Rock TX 78664, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cabin from Gabriel Mills Area (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kenney's Fort (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Double File Trail (approx. 0.7 miles away); Palm Valley Lutheran Church (approx. ¾ mile away); Anti-Slaveholding Union Baptist Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); Site of Stony Point School (approx. 1.9 miles away); Trinity Lutheran College (approx. 2.3 miles away); Olson House (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Round Rock.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 5, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,343 times since then and 54 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on October 5, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?