Frederick in Frederick County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Home of Chief Justice Roger Brooke Taney
Roger Brooke Taney
and his wife
Erected by Frederick Chapter
Daughters of the American Revolution
Erected 1938 by Frederick Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 39° 24.714′ N, 77° 24.978′ W. Marker is in Frederick, Maryland, in Frederick County. Marker is on South Bentz Street (State Highway 355), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 South Bentz Street, Frederick MD 21701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Black High School in Frederick County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 173 West All Saints Street (about 400 feet away); Mullinix Park (about 400 feet away); Barbara Fritchie Cabins & Tea Room (about 600 feet away); Mary Quantrill's Stand (about 600 feet away); May 17, 1943 (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1862 Antietam Campaign (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jacob Engelbrecht (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frederick.
Also see . . . The Roger Brooke Taney House. The house is a museum operated by the Historical Society of Frederick County. (Submitted on October 7, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
1. Roger Brooke Taney Didn't Live Here.
Notwithstanding the claims of this 1938 DAR plaque, neither the author of the Dred Scott decision nor Francis Scott Key's sister, Anne, lived in this house. The house belonged to Elizabeth Luckett who sold the house to Taney in 1815 but continued to live there. Taney may have bought the house to save the mother of his ne'er-do-well friend, Otho Luckett, from foreclosure. But there's more to this site than its association with R. B. Taney. It offers a rare glimpse into middle-class life in 19th century Maryland. Mrs. Luckett's was a small house on the outskirts of a large town, not a rural plantation. She did, however, own slaves. The old "quarters" survive attached to the back of the house.
— Submitted August 30, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.
2. Confirmation that Taney did not live here
Thank you for contacting the Historical Society of Frederick County. Yes, the plaque
Taney moved to Frederick in 1801 and rented a property (no longer standing) from the McPherson family on Market Street till his departure to Baltimore in 1823. The Taney House property was purchased by Elizabeth Luckett in 1801. In 1814 she entered a mortgage agreement with Roger B. Taney and John McPherson (both lawyers). By 1815, the house went up for sale and Taney purchased the property for $3200 and bought McPherson out of mortgage for a $1. So, Taney was the landlord of the house on Bentz Street, but it was never his residence. Taney later sold the home in 1823 for $1600 to Peter Mantz. If you need or would like to see any of the primary resource evidence, please let me know. Meanwhile, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.
Museum Operations Coordinator
The Historical Society of Frederick County
24 East Church Street
Frederick, MD 21701
— Submitted August 30, 2013, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 7, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,835 times since then and 38 times this year. This page was the Marker of the Week September 8, 2013. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 7, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 30, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 6. submitted on September 4, 2013. 7. submitted on September 6, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 8. submitted on October 31, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.