Humphreys Station in Fresno County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Inscription. This site was originally called Mechanicsville, gradually changing to Humphrey Station after Miles Humphreys' store. Miles Humphreys came to California to join his brother John after the Civil War and saw an opportunity by opening his store at this crossroads. Although not an official stage stop, the Butterfield Stage dropped off passengers at Humphrey's store to get "refreshed". Passengers included for the most part working class men from the lumber industry.
By Lester J Letson, January 16, 2010
1. Humphrey Station Marker
The stage stop and the restaurant have slightly different names: Humphreys, Humphrey's and Humphrey Station.
Thus, Humphreys is the only location in California where "station" stands for a former stage stop rather than a train station. The store was located in the depression at the intersection 80 yards to the right of this monument. Miles Humphreys' better known brother John Humphreys is often referred to as the namesake. The Humphreys family was held in the highest regard during this period of Eastern Fresno County's History.
Dedicated this 16th day of January, 2010
Jim Savage Chapter 1852 E Clampus Vitus
Celebrating 50 years 1959-2009
Erected 2010 by E Clampus Vitus.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Butterfield Overland Mail, and the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 36° 57.667′ N, 119° 26.783′ W.
Marker is in Humphreys Station, California, in Fresno County. Marker is at the intersection of Tollhouse Road and Pittman Hill Road, on the right when traveling east on Tollhouse Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23117 Tollhouse Road, Clovis CA 93619, United States of America.
By Lester J Letson, January 16, 2010
2. Humphrey Station Marker
A unique one-of-a-kind marker shaped as a bench with a base made to look like wagon wheels from an old stage coach.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tollhouse (approx. 4.8 miles away); Academy Methodist Church (approx. 7.1 miles away); Academy (approx. 7.1 miles away); Choinumni (approx. 10.6 miles away); Kings River (approx. 11.3 miles away); William "Yank" Hazelton (approx. 12.3 miles away); Dalton Mountain (approx. 14.2 miles away).
Regarding Humphrey Station. There were three Humphreys brothers, John, the best known, Miles and James. It has been reported that John and Miles did not drink alcohol, but that James did. The original store sold wine, beer and hard liquor to the loggers that stopped by leading some to surmise that James Humphreys may have been the original store owner.
The settlement was named Humphreys Station, but when a restaurant was opened at the crossroads in about 1920, they incorrectly named the eatery Humphrey Station. The monument sits on the Humphrey Station Restaurant property, so the name agreed on for the marker was Humphrey Station.
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Courtesy of Bud Olsen and the Eastern Fresno County Museum, circa 1880
3. Scotty's, The Original Store Building at Humphreys
This is the original building housing a store with separate quarters upstairs. The store changed names as can be seen by the Scotty's name hung over a previous name. This picture can be seen on a tile on the upper right hand corner of the monument.
Courtesy of Ted Kerber and The Eastern Fresno County Museum, circa 1920
4. Humphrey Station Restaurant
The original restaurant opened at the crossroads using the incorrect spelling of Humphrey Station. A tile with this picture can be seen in the upper left hand corner of the monument
Courtesy of Bud Olsen and The Eastern Fresno County Museum, circa 1925
5. Mechanicsville School Student Body
The entire population of the Mechanicsville School in front of the schoolhouse in 1925. The photo is from a collection at the Eastern Fresno County Museum courtesy of Bud Olsen. The school retained the old name of Mechanicsville until it was absorbed into the Sierra School System in 1926.
Courtesy of the Eastern Fresno County Museum, circa 1921
6. Mechanicsville School
It is commonly agreed by local hsitorians that this was the roughest built school in Fresno County. Simple wood slats, no insulation, light was visible through the walls during the daytime and wind whipped through during winter. The building was moved to the top of the hill above Humphrey Station after it was closed in 1926 and was forgotten. Hikers later found it crumpled into a decaying pile of wood. Nothing remains of it today.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 7, 2010, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. This page has been viewed 2,994 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 7, 2010, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. 5, 6. submitted on August 10, 2010, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.