Morris in Litchfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
[ front ]
South Farms built its first school in 1747; the first church, Congregational, in 1764; and established its first cemetery in 1748. The earliest library was opened in 1785. The boundaries of South Farms were defined in 1767 when the Ecclesiastical Socitey was incorporated with seventy families. Although chiefly agricultural, South Farms built saw mills and grist mills on its rivers, had several small industries and stores, and developed a summer resort business on Bantam Lake.
Twice, in 1786 and 1810, the South Farms Society applied unsuccessfully for status as a separate town.
[ back ]
In 1859 the South Farms Society petitioned the Connecticut General Assembly, stating that South Farms "… is in fact a separate and distinct community having little or no connection by its situation and business interest with the northern portion of said town of Litchfield."
The petition, signed by 138 electors, was granted, and the Town of Morris was incorporated in June, 1859.
The town was named in honor of James Morris (1752 – 1820), Yale graduate, Revolutionary War captain, selectman, and member of the General Assembly. He was best known as the founder and first principal of the Morris Academy. A pioneer in coeducation, the Academy (1790 – 1888) attracted students from nearly every state and many foreign countries.
Erected by the Town of Morris
and the Connecticut Historical Commission
Erected 1974 by Town of Morris, Connecticut Historical Commission.
Location. 41° 40.958′ N, 73° 11.971′ W. Marker is in Morris, Connecticut, in Litchfield County. Marker is at the intersection of South Street (Connecticut Route 61) and East Street (Connecticut Route 109), on the right when traveling south on South Street. Touch for map. Located in front of the Morris Historical Society. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12 South Street, Morris CT 06763, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. White Memorial Foundation (approx. 1.7 Bellamy - Ferriday House (approx. 3 miles away); Dr. Bellamy Meetinghouse (approx. 3 miles away); Bethlehem World War II Memorial (approx. 3.1 miles away); Bethlehem Vietnam War Memorial (approx. 3.1 miles away); Bethlehem Korean War Memorial (approx. 3.1 miles away); Bethlehem War of 1812 Memorial (approx. 3.1 miles away); Bethlehem Revolutionary War Memorial (approx. 3.1 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Morris, Connecticut on Wikipedia. (Submitted on March 9, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. James Morris III on Wikipedia. (Submitted on March 9, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 9, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 558 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 9, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.