Marshall in Calhoun County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Mary Miller / Hillside
This house, built for local attorney Henry W. Taylor and long owned by the Schuyler family, was also home to Mary "Mazie" Miller (1871-1941) and her husband, Craig. An outspoken suffragette and Republican political activist, Miller was an early president of the Michigan League of Women Voters. She resided here from 1905 until her death. During that time, Miller hosted many political luminaries, including future U.S. president William Howard Taft, as well as state legislators from Lansing.
Erected in 1843, this house is among the oldest in Marshall. it came to be known as "Hillside," a name derived from its prominent location. The house was designed in the fashionable Gothic Revival style. Its architecture and landscaping were likely influenced by the design for a "Cottage in the English or Rural Gothic Style" in Cottage Residences, a popular book of house plans by landscape gardener Andrew Jackson Downing that was published in 1842.
Erected 2006 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number 2161.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 16.45′ N, 84° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marshall MI 49068, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Harold C. Brooks / Fitch-Gorham-Brooks House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); John D. Pierce Homesite (about 500 feet away); Isaac E. Crary House (about 700 feet away); Honolulu House (about 700 feet away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); James A. Miner (approx. 0.2 miles away); Marshall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Charles T. Gorham (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marshall.
Categories. • Politics • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 26, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 9, 2010. This page has been viewed 902 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 9, 2010. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.