Stillwater in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Forgotten Lives; Working Class Families of the Canal Era Revealed
In the early 1820s construction on the Champlain Canal was complete. The Canalís prism was built along the highwayís original alignment at its crossing with Devilís Creek. By 1830 the hamlet was sparsely populated with a few farmsteads. A single building was located at the southern end of the site. By the mid nineteenth century the hamlet had grown in contrast to the surrounding community. Members of the community worked as artisans within their homes, labored on farms or worked as canal boatmen. Eliza Valentine, a weaver, lived with her daughters and two borders on a half-acre parcel in the northern part of the site from 1856 to 1864. In 1864 Seneca Poucher, a boatman
Henry Heiden, a German immigrant, purchased the property in 1895. Heiden operated a blacksmith shop in the mid portion of the site. The shop operated into the 1900s and ceased operation around 1917 when the Champlain Canal was abandoned and replaced by the current Champlain Barge Canal. Around 1906 Heiden built a two story dwelling north of the former Valentine home where he, his new wife, and elderly father lived. Henry Heidenís blacksmith shop was a simple building resting upon a small cobblestone wall. Investigations within the shopís interior provided evidence of its layout. Features were associated with the smithís large forge, anvil, quenching barrel, and scrap pile. These finds have provided valuable information about the blacksmithís trade, and integral profession in the growth of a small community along the canal.
The canal remained as an open ditch until 1954 when it was filled
Excavations conducted in 2004 by the NYSM located the former Valentine house. This study uncovered a stone foundation and cellar hole associated with the occupation of the site from c. 1850 to 1906. The foundation pictured on the left, framed a 14 ft by 26 ft cellar, 5 ft below the groundís surface. Wooden stringers found along the base of the cellar wall supported a planked floor. These cellar areas allowed for the storage of vegetables and preserves. Excavations also revealed that a 40 ft by 26 ft addition was built along the cellarís southern wall during the mid 1860s. The addition rested on shallow footings above a crawl space.
Erected 2005 by New York State Museum, University of the State of New York, NY State Education Dept.
Location. 42° 58.268′ N, 73° 38.014′ W. Marker is in Stillwater, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 4 and New York State Route 32, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 4. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stillwater NY 12170, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Gen. Henry Knox Trail (here, next to this marker); Earthworks (within shouting distance of this marker); Water Battery (approx. ľ mile away); American River Fortifications (approx. 0.7 miles away); Thaddeus Kosciusko (approx. 0.7 miles away); American River Defense (approx. 0.7 miles away); Patriotsí Eye-View (approx. 0.7 miles away); Redoubt (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stillwater.
More about this marker. A number of photos and illustrations appear on the marker. At the center are two maps; one showing the geographic location of the site, and a more detailed map of the area. The left of the marker contains a layout of the site with the caption “Blecker†† A waster weir was built at the siteís southern boundary along the channel of the Devilís Creek. This feature helped maintain a desirable water level within the canalís prism by controlling the quantity of water allowed to flow out of the canal into the Hudson.” Elsewhere on the marker are photos of excavations of the site and artifacts found there. One has a caption of “Pictured are artifacts consisting of horseshoes, nails, tools, wagon and harness parts and scrap metal discarded by the blacksmith.” A copy of an early 18th century postcard appears on the marker. It has a caption of “Postcard depicting the Anna, the first tugboat used in the Champlain Canal. The site is located along the northern bank of the canal as depicted on the left side of the photo.” A picture of a blacksmith at work is also on the marker.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 14, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 728 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 14, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.