Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wilmington in New Hanover County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Wilmington Light Infantry

Armory Building

 
 
Wilmington Light Infantry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 11, 2010
1. Wilmington Light Infantry Marker
Inscription. This plaque is presented to the Wilmington Light Infantry which served with distinction in:

The Civil War, The Spanish-American War, World War I and World War II.

This plaque is to be prominently displayed on the Washington Light Infantry Armory Building in perpetual memory of this historic military organization.

Deeded to the City of Wilmington the 17th day of September 1951 by Wilmington Light Infantry Reserve Corps
 
Erected 1951 by Wilmington Light Infantry Reserve Corps.
 
Location. 34° 14.156′ N, 77° 56.65′ W. Marker is in Wilmington, North Carolina, in New Hanover County. Marker can be reached from Market Street (U.S. 17) 0.1 miles west of North 5th Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wilmington NC 28401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Temple of Israel (within shouting distance of this marker); St. James Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Godfrey (within shouting distance of this marker); Leora Hiatt McEachern (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Beery’s Shipyard
John A. Taylor House image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 11, 2010
2. John A. Taylor House
c.1847
Benjamin Gardner, architect
Greek revival style house built for John A. Taylor (1798-1873), native of New York, shipping and railroad industrialist, civic leader; and wife, Catherine M. Harriss (1806-177). From 1893 to 1951, building served as an armory for the Wilmington Light Infantry. The WLI gave it to the City of Wilmington for use as a public library. The library occupied the building from 1956 to 1981. Historic Wilmington Foundation, Inc.
(about 400 feet away); Thomas Atkinson (about 400 feet away); Old Courthouse (about 500 feet away); George Davis (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilmington.
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsWar, Spanish-AmericanWar, US CivilWar, World IWar, World II
 
Wilmington Light Infantry Armory Building image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 11, 2010
3. Wilmington Light Infantry Armory Building
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 15, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,100 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 15, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement