Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Morristown in Belmont County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Morristown

 
 
Morristown Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 10, 2006
1. Morristown Marker
Inscription. Platted in 1802 by John Zane and William Chapline along the old Wheeling Road. Morristown was named for Duncan Morrison, an early settler, innkeeper, and Justice of the Peace. Older than the state itself. Morristown prospered into the mid-1800s, nurtured by trade along the National Road, the first federally funded highway project in the United States. The National Road was a major overland route to the West in the second quarter of the nineteenth century. Federal style brick and frame structures that remain standing today replaced the original log cabins that first made up the town. Named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Morristown is a well-preserved example of a National Road town.
 
Erected 2003 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Morristown Historic Preservation Association, The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 10-7.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection, and the The Historic National Road marker series.
 
Location. 40° 3.947′ N, 81° 3.76′ W. Marker is near Morristown, Ohio, in Belmont County. Marker is at the intersection of National Road (U.S. 40) and Old National Road, on the right when traveling
Morristown Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 10, 2006
2. Morristown Marker
U.S. 40 on the left, Old National Road to Morristown on the right.
west on National Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Belmont OH 43718, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mile Marker (approx. 2.6 miles away); a different marker also named Mile Marker (approx. 2.7 miles away); State of Ohio (approx. 2.8 miles away); Harley E. Warrick (approx. 3 miles away); Watt Car and Wheel Company (approx. 7.7 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Morristown History. (Submitted on April 20, 2006.)
 
Categories. Political SubdivisionsRoads & Vehicles
 
Morristown Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, November 2, 2014
3. Morristown Marker
Descriptive stone has been placed in front of marker
Morristown image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 10, 2006
4. Morristown
Old National Road heading east. Post office is behind the stop sign.
Morristown Stone image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, November 2, 2014
5. Morristown Stone
located in front of Morristown marker
inscription

1802
Morristown
National Register of Historic Places
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 20, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,115 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 20, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   3. submitted on November 2, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.   4. submitted on April 20, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   5. submitted on November 2, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement