Maryville in Blount County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
New Providence Church
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1E46.)
Location. 35° 45.23′ N, 83° 58.392′ W. Marker is in Maryville, Tennessee, in Blount County. Marker is at the intersection of West Broadway Avenue and Cates Street, on the left when traveling west on West Broadway Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 703 West Broadway Avenue, Maryville TN 37801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Bennett Scott, Sr. (within shouting distance of this marker); Montvale Springs (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Maryville During the Civil War (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pride Mansion (approx. 0.2 miles away); Relief of Knoxville (approx. Where Houston Enlisted (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sam Houston Statue (approx. 0.2 miles away); Maryville Polytechnic School (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Maryville.
Also see . . . History of the New Providence Presbyterian Church. The brick church was constructed in 1852 (though never completed because of the Civil War) and used until 1893 for services and until 1911 as a community building called Colombian Hall. (Submitted on March 23, 2010.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 2, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 17, 2010, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 1,457 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 17, 2010, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. 2, 3. submitted on August 28, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on August 16, 2010, by Donald Raby of Knoxville, Tennessee. 8. submitted on March 17, 2010, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. 9. submitted on August 16, 2010, by Donald Raby of Knoxville, Tennessee. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.