Tuscaloosa in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Morgan Hall, 1910
As U.S. Senator, Morgan led the 1882 campaign to obtain federal funds in reparation for the destruction of the University of Alabama campus by Union Troops in 1865.
A member of the Alabama Secession Convention and a Brigadier General in the Confederate Army, Morgan was later (1876) elected to the U.S. Senate, where he became known as "Canal Morgan" for his strong support of a canal across Central America.
Erected by University of Alabama.
Location. 33° 12.743′ N, 87° 32.876′ W. Marker is in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, in Tuscaloosa County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Colonial Drive and Capstone Drive. Touch for map. Building # 1107, Morgan Hall is located on the Campus of the University of Alabama. Marker is in this post office area: Tuscaloosa AL 35487, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gorgas House (within shouting distance of this marker); Oliver-Barnard Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Gorgas-Manly Historic District (about 400 feet away); Site Of Franklin Hall (about 400 The Little Round House (about 500 feet away); B.B. Comer Hall, 1908 (about 500 feet away); Marr’s Spring (about 600 feet away); Shockly’s Escort Company Of Cavalry (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tuscaloosa.
Also see . . . University of Alabama Campus Tour, Morgan Hall. (Submitted on March 28, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Categories. • Education • Government • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 28, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,210 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 28, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.