Salado in Bell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
May 28, 1862, Governor Francis R. Lubbock closed all Texas distilleries, to save grain. Army calls for medicinal liquor (for opiate and stimulant purposes) soon caused him to order a few, including Alexander's, re-opened.
In drastic medical shortages, Texans throughout the Civil War gave such help as they could. Bandages, sewing silk, lint, polk weed, peach bark, barilla and other home medical aids went to various military units.
Erected 1964 by the State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 113.)
Location. 30° 56.705′ N, 97° 31.962′ W. Marker is in Salado, Texas, in Bell County. Marker is on Center Circle, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Salado TX 76571, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Twelve Oaks (within shouting distance of this marker); George Washington Baines House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Davis Mill (approx. ¼ mile away); Home of Orville Thomas Tyler (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Anderson Place Norton-Orgain House (approx. ¼ mile away); First Baptist Church of Salado (approx. 0.3 miles away); Louisa Adeline (Addie) Barton (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salado.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 30, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 914 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 30, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?