Tuscaloosa in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The Gorgas-Manly Historic District
The Gorgas House (1829)
First structure built on the original campus
The Round House (1860)
Used by cadets on guard duty, and another of the four buildings to survive the fires set by Federal troops in 1865.
Woods Hall (1868)
First building constructed after the Civil War and serving for the next sixteen years as the University.
Manly (1886), Clark (1886), and Garland (1888) Halls
Built as the State began to recover from the Reconstruction Era.
Tuomey and Barnard Halls (1838)
which completed the nineteenth-century University of Alabama campus.
Twelve Acres Of The Campus of The University Of Alabama including eight buildings designated in The National Register Of Historic Places as The Gorgas-Manly Historic District
Erected 1972 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 33° 12.767′ N, 87° 32.809′ W. Marker is in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, in Tuscaloosa County. Marker is at the intersection of Stadiium Drive and McCorvey Drive, on the right when traveling east on Stadiium Drive. Touch for map. Marker is located on the Campus of the University of Alabama. Marker is in this post office area: Tuscaloosa AL 35487, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Gorgas House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); B.B. Comer Hall, 1908 (about 300 feet away); Oliver-Barnard Hall (about 300 feet away); The Little Round House (about 300 feet away); Woods Hall, 1868 (about 400 feet away); Morgan Hall, 1910 (about 400 feet away); Site Of Franklin Hall (about 400 feet away); Shockly’s Escort Company Of Cavalry (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tuscaloosa.
Also see . . . The University of Alabama Interactive Campus Map. (Submitted on April 1, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Categories. • Education • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 1, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,519 times since then and 94 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on April 1, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.