Tuscarawas in Tuscarawas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Ohio & Erie Canal in Warwick Township
The canal served other uses besides transportation. Mills and factories leased water rights from the state. During the winter months, ice was cut from the canal and stored for year-round use by stores and taverns. The canal also provided entertainment and recreation-fishing, boating, swimming, ice skating, and picnicking-to area residents.
Upper Trenton Lock. The Upper Trenton Lock (Lock 15 South) of the Ohio & Erie Canal was built between 1828 and 1829. Originally built of cut sandstone blocks, the lock was named for the Village of Trenton, now Tuscarawas. Lock 16, or Lower Trenton Lock, lies only 800
Repeated flood damage prompted reconstruction of Lock 15 in 1907. The deteriorated stonemasonry was completely replaced with concrete at a cost of $6,815. The old stone was used to shore up the towpath. Use of the state-owned canal had declined significantly by this point, and the great flood of 1913 brought the canal era to an end in Ohio.
Erected 2001 by The Warwick Lions Club, The Rosenberry Foundation, The Tuscarawas County Historical Society, The Village of Toscarawas, The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 12-79.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio and Erie Canal, and the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 23.571′ N, 81° 24.471′ W. Marker is in Tuscarawas, Ohio, in Tuscarawas County. Marker is on South Main Street (Ohio Route 416) south of Cherry Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gnadenhutten / The Gnadenhutten Massacre, "A Day of Shame" (approx. 3 miles away); Uhrich's Mill 1806 / Clay Capital 1833-1980s (approx. 3.2 miles away); Dennison High School (approx. 3.9 miles away); Dennison Railway Chapel / The Manse (approx. 3.9 miles away); Dennison Yard and Shops / Dennison Depot (approx. 4 miles away).
Regarding The Ohio & Erie Canal in Warwick Township. State Route 416 parallels the canal's route from New Philadelphia through Tuscarawas County. Then US-36 follows it to Coshocton and State Route 16 is close to it on its way to Dresden.
Also see . . .
1. History of Ohio's Canals. From the Ohio Division of Water, Canal Lands site. (Submitted on April 23, 2006.)
2. Ohio's Historic Canals. (Submitted on April 23, 2006.)
3. Map of Ohio's Canals. (Submitted on April 23, 2006.)
4. The Ohio & Erie Canal — A Photo Essay (Submitted on April 23, 2006.)
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 23, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,556 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 23, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.