Goose Creek in Berkeley County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Boochawee Hall, created in 1683 by a 2,400-acre grant, was owned by two colonial governors, father and son. James Moore (d. 1706), a trader and planter, served on the Grand Council and later led “the Goose Creek Men,” an anti-proprietary faction. Appointed governor in 1700, Moore commanded an expedition to Florida, burning St. Augustine in 1702. Moore, replaced as governor by Sir Nathaniel Johnson in 1703, returned to the council and held a seat there until his death.
James Moore Jr. (d. 1724) served three terms in the Commons House of Assembly and as an officer in the Tuscarora War (1711-13) before commanding the provincial forces in the Yemassee War (1715). Moore was appointed governor when the proprietary government was overthrown in 1719. He was essentially a caretaker until he was succeeded by provisional royal governor Francis Nicholson in 1721. Moore was Speaker of the House in the first Royal Assembly at his death.
Erected 2007 by the City of Goose Creek. (Marker Number 8-45.)
Location. 32° 59.759′ N, 80° 1.713′ W. Marker is in Goose Creek, South Carolina, in Berkeley County. Marker is on a Lake Greenview Park walking Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Goose Creek SC 29445, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Button Hall (approx. 0.7 miles away); Goose Creek / City of Goose Creek (approx. ¾ mile away); Howe Hall Plantation / Howe Hall (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Oaks (approx. 0.9 miles away); Liberty Hall Plantation (approx. 1.1 miles away); Goose Creek Bridge (approx. 1.1 miles away); Howe Hall Plantation / Howe Hall Elementary School (approx. 1.1 miles away); Goose Creek Church (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goose Creek.
Categories. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 4, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,431 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 4, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.