Goose Creek in Berkeley County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
This plantation was once part of Boochawee Hall, owned by Governor James Moore (d. 1706). Moore left 615 acres to his daughter Rebecca, who married Thomas Barker (d. 1715) in 1709. Barker, who planted inland rice here, served one term in the Commons House of Assembly. In 1715, at the outset of the Yemassee War, Barker raised and commanded a company defending Goose Creek. That spring Capt. Barker and 26 of his men were killed in a Yemassee ambush.
Rebecca Moore Barker married planter William Dry (d. 1740), who served six terms in the Commons House of Assembly and was its Speaker 1728-29. In 1785 William Loughton Smith (1758-1812) acquired the plantation; he was a state representative and later U.S. Congressman and U.S. minister to Portugal. Button Hall was owned by two of Smith’s grandsons after the Civil War, when it was subdivided and sold or rented to freedmen for small farms.
Erected 2007 by the City of Goose Creek. (Marker Number 8-46.)
Location. 33° 0.205′ N, 80° 2.145′ W. Marker is in Goose Creek, South Carolina, in Berkeley County. Marker is on Brandywine Boulevard east of North Goose Creek Boulevard (U.S. 52). Touch for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Goose Creek / City of Goose Creek (approx. 0.4 miles away); Boochawee Hall (approx. 0.7 miles away); Casey (Caice) (approx. 1.2 miles away); Howe Hall Plantation / Howe Hall (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Oaks (approx. 1.4 miles away); Liberty Hall Plantation (approx. 1˝ miles away); Springfield Plantation (approx. 1˝ miles away); Goose Creek Bridge (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goose Creek.
Categories. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 4, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,291 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 4, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?