Hanahan in Berkeley County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Bowen’s Corner, an African-American farming community from the mid-19th century through the late-20th century, was originally part of a rice plantation established along Goose Creek in 1680. That tract was granted by the Lords Proprietors to Barnard Schenckingh (d. 1692). It was later owned by Benjamin Coachman (d. 1779), member of the Royal Assembly. By 1785 it passed to John Bowen (d. 1811), a state representative, for whom Bowen’s Corner is named.
Bowen and later absentee owners through the antebellum and post-Civil War era often employed slaves and freedmen as overseers or managers, giving them an opportunity to work toward self-sufficiency. “Bowen’s Old Place” was subdivided into small farms after the war. By 1936 the Bowen’s Corner community, between the railroad and the Goose Creek Reservoir, was centered on Bethel A.M.E. Church and Bowen’s Corner School, for grades 1-8, which closed in 1954.
Erected 2008 by the City of Hanahan. (Marker Number 8-58.)
Location. 32° 56.224′ N, 80° 0.507′ W. Marker is in Hanahan, South Carolina, in Berkeley County. Marker is at the intersection of Foster Creek Road and Ford Boulevard on Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hanahan SC 29410, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Steepbrook Plantation (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Yamasee War At Goose Creek, 1715 (approx. 2.7 miles away); Otranto Plantation (approx. 2.7 miles away); French Botanical Garden (approx. 2.8 miles away); St. James, Goose Creek (approx. 3 miles away); Goose Creek Church (approx. 3.1 miles away); Howe Hall Plantation / Howe Hall Elementary School (approx. 3.2 miles away); Goose Creek Bridge (approx. 3.3 miles away).
Categories. • African Americans • Antebellum South, US •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 4, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,176 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 4, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.