St. Marys in Auglaize County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Fort St. Marys / Fort Barbee / Girty Town
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
Fort St. Marys
Built by Gen. Wayne-1794
Built by Gen. Harrison-1812
So named for the renegade
Girtys, whose home it was.
Erected 1930 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number C18.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission marker series.
Location. 40° 32.509′ N, 84° 23.493′ W. Marker is in St. Marys, Ohio, in Auglaize County. Marker is on West Spring Street (Ohio Route 703) east of South Wayne Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 381 West Spring Street, Saint Marys OH 45885, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saint Marys River (approx. ¼ mile away); The "Short Level" of the Miami and Erie Canal (approx. ¼ mile away); Miami and Erie Canal (approx. ¼ mile away); Fort St. Marys (approx. 0.4 miles away); Grand Lake Saint Marys (approx. 1.4 miles away); Broadwell Mill Plank Road (approx. 5 miles away); New Knoxville: The Ladbergen Kinship (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Marys.
Regarding Fort St. Marys / Fort Barbee / Girty Town. In his book, "The Forts of Ohio" (copyright 2005), author Gary S. Williams states the following:
"The northernmost post on Anthony Wayne's water-based supply route was also selected because the site had been used previously. The current site of the Auglaize County town of St. Marys had been a trading post and village headed by James Girty, a brother of the notorious renegade, Simon Girty. James had been a partner of Peter Loramie, and had fled to the banks of the St.Mary's River after George Roger Clark's men had destroyed Loramie's Store in 1782."
"From 1783 to 1790, Girty maintained his trading post. He was married to a Shawnee woman, but the village around his post that came to be called Girty's Town was home to members of assorted tribes. Within his palisaded post, Girty traded for furs which he sent up the Maumee Rivers to Detroit. He also served as an unofficial representative of the British, so when Harmar's army approached in 1790, he fled the area."
"Wayne had considered a water route for supplies during the summer of 1794, but it wasn't until a year later that he authorized Henry Burbeck to build a blockhouse to store building supplies at St. Marys. The actual construction of the fort was done in October, 1795, by a detail under the Lieutenant John Michael. After the small fort was completed, the officer in charge was a Lieutenant John Whistler. Whistler had come to America with the British Army during the Revolution and was captured when Burgoyne surrendered at Saratoga. He returned to this country and took up a military career, as did his son. His grandson, however, took a different path as the painter, James Abbot McNeil Whistler."
"As the first fort on the Lake Erie watershed, Fort St. Marys was where the military stores were transferred from wagons to boats. A crude road was built between Forts Loramie and St. Marys, and at St. Marys boat building became a major activity. Once the new boats were launched they could float to Fort Wayne in seven days in moderate waters, although they tied up at night. At low water, navigation was more difficult, but
"The fort was abandoned in 1796. When a new fort was built in 1812, it was located slightly closer to downtown St. Marys, almost adjacent to the old grounds. There is a marker in the Lutheran Cemetery noting the location of Fort St. Marys and an archaeological dig has uncovered several artifacts from the era."
Also see . . .
1. Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System. A description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state of Ohio in 1929 - 1930. (Submitted on June 30, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Cartographic Map of the (Western) Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail, 1930. This is a link to information provided by the Midpointe Library System. Middletown, Trenton, West Chester, Ohio (Submitted on September 2, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
3. 1931 'Biennium Report of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission'. This is a link to information provided by the Ohio War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission's website, regarding the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission's military trails system and trail markers. (Submitted on March 23, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 8, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,952 times since then and 97 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 8, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 7. submitted on September 2, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.