Sidney in Shelby County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
German American Bank
This lot was one of the first developed in Sidney with its use dating from 1820. It was headquarters for the German American Bank that collapses in a notorious 1904 bank failure. The First National Exchange Bank, founded in 1899, rented the space in 1905. Sidney's worst first destroyed the bank in 1914. The new fire-proof Colorado marble structure occupies the site. It was home to First National Bank, The Bank Discothèque and currently Behr Design and Edward Jones.
Erected 2008 by Sidney County Historical Society, Sidney Visitors Bureau and US Bank.
Location. 40° 17.146′ N, 84° 9.358′ W. Marker is in Sidney, Ohio, in Shelby County. Marker is on Poplar Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is north across Poplar Street from the county courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 114 E. Poplar Street, Sidney OH 45365, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Carey's Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Shelby County Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); George Washington Bicentennial (within shouting distance of this marker); Shelby County Operation Desert Storm Memorial Sidney and Shelby County Millenium Monument (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Theodore Roosevelt / William Howard Taft (about 300 feet away); The Shelby County Courthouse (about 300 feet away); Shelby County Korean Conflict / Vietnam War Memorial (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sidney.
Also see . . . History of the Building. (Submitted on April 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 781 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.