Germantown in Montgomery County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
This former gristmill, built by Lewis Shuey between 1844 and 1845, stands on the site of an earlier mill built in 1806 by Philip Gunckel, founder of Germantown. A miller by trade, Gunckel led a party of settlers from Pennsylvania to Montgomery County in 1804 and settled here because the location was excellent for milling. Gunckel platted Germantown in 1814 and operated a gristmill and a sawmill on this site until 1830 when he sold the mills to Lewis Shuey, his son-in-law, who rebuilt and improved them.
Erected 1974 by Montgomery County Historical Society.
Location. 39° 37.279′ N, 84° 22.228′ W. Marker is in Germantown, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Endress Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 313 S. Main Street, Germantown OH 45327, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Village of Germantown (approx. ¼ mile away); Germantown Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Germantown Covered Bridge (approx. 0.4 miles away); Germantown Dam Heritage Village (approx. 4.4 miles away); Mound Laboratory (1946- 2010) (approx. 4.8 miles away); Site of Mound Laboratory (1946- 2003) (approx. 4.8 miles away); Miamisburg Mound (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Germantown.
Also see . . . About Germantown. (Submitted on April 9, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 9, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 879 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 9, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.