Lufkin in Angelina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Whitehouse Cemetery contains the burials of people who lived and worked in the central part of the county, including early settlers and residents of the area. Family names on the tombstones reflect many who were influential in shaping and organizing Lufkin and Angelina County government and businesses. Among the most significant were the Ganns, who for many years owned the land on which the cemetery is located.
In 1934, the Whitehouse Cemetery Association was organized to care for the property. It purchased additional land from the Gann family in 1941. Until the 1960s, all graves were kept clear of vegetation in the traditional "scraped-earth" manner.
As a reminder of the people who settled permanently in this part of Angelina County, the Whitehouse Cemetery remains a significant part of the area's heritage.
Location. 31° 17.94′ N, 94° 43.086′ W. Marker is in Lufkin, Texas, in Angelina County. Marker is on Whitehouse Drive, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 416 Whitehouse Drive, Lufkin TX 75901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. City of Lufkin (approx. 1.2 miles away); First Christian Church of Lufkin (approx. 1.8 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Lufkin (approx. 2 miles away); Lufkin Foundry and Machine Company (approx. 2.4 miles away); W.C. Trout and the Counter-Balanced Pumping Unit (approx. 2.4 miles away); Angelina County (approx. 2.6 miles away); Site of Martin Wagon Company (approx. 2.8 miles away); Site of Rehearsal Hall for the The Hoo Hoo Band (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lufkin.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 12, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,575 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 12, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?