Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sutter Creek in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Sutter Creek Sanitarium

1895 - 1927

 
 
Sutter Creek Sanitarium Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 9, 2010
1. Sutter Creek Sanitarium Marker
Inscription.
Medical Offices, Surgery and Hospital of
Dr. Philip Sheridan Goodman. (1867 – 1927).
Office and surgery on ground floor, hospital upstairs.
Miraculous and unconventional, a true
Sutter Creek Character.

 
Erected 2004 by Amador Sesquincentennial Committee.
 
Location. 38° 23.642′ N, 120° 48.186′ W. Marker is in Sutter Creek, California, in Amador County. Marker is on Main Street (Old Highway 49) south of Randolph Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 72 Main Street, Sutter Creek CA 95685, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. C. Soracco Company (within shouting distance of this marker); Sutter Creek (within shouting distance of this marker); J. Monteverde General Store Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); Brignoli Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Levaggi Opera House (within shouting distance of this marker); Native Sons Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Bellotti Inn (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); William Barker Hubbell (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sutter Creek.
 
Regarding Sutter Creek Sanitarium.
Sutter Creek Sanitarium image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 9, 2010
2. Sutter Creek Sanitarium
The marker is mounted on the building to the left of the entrance. It is viewable between the support post and left window.
The Sutter Creek Walking Tour Brochure states that this building "housed town character Dr. Goodman and his "elevator" to the second floor operating room."

Reported in the Ledger-Dispatch February 27, 2004:
Philip Goodman was a doctor-surgeon in Sutter Creek from 1895 to his death in 1927. He set up the Sutter Creek Sanitarium in a two-story building on Main Street. The top floor was the hospital and the ground floor combined offices, a laboratory and surgery.

He came from Missouri with his wife and a six-shooter which he used to spur on his horse while conducting his rounds. He was also a frequent visitor to the 16 saloons in Sutter Creek and enjoyed firing off that same six-shooter during his “touring.”

His most important medicine was Old Crow Whiskey, a prescription he used for everyone including children and himself.
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsNotable PersonsScience & Medicine
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 14, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,116 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 14, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Paid Advertisement