Pulaski in Giles County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Thomas Martin founded Martin Female College in 1870, to fulfill the wish of his dying daughter for a girls' school in Giles County. Its first president was William K. Jones. Fire destroyed it in 1904. It became coeducational in 1937. The Methodist Church now operates it as an accredited junior college.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3F 31.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 35° 11.965′ N, 87° 2.38′ W. Marker is in Pulaski, Tennessee, in Giles County. Marker is at the intersection of West College Street (Tennessee Route 166) and South 7th Street on West College Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pulaski TN 38478, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Walter Hershel Beech (approx. half a mile away); South Pulaski Historic District (approx. half a mile away); Donald Grady Davidson (1893~1966) John Crowe Ransom (1888~1974) (approx. half a mile away); Sam Davis (approx. half a mile away); Pulaski Courthouse Square Historic District (approx. half a mile away); Old Graveyard (approx. 0.6 miles away); Giles County Trail of Tears Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Bell Route (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pulaski.
Also see . . .
1. Thomas Martin at the Tennessee Portrait Project. Martin Methodist College - Colonial Hall, Pulaski, Tennessee, (Submitted on April 15, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa.)
2. Martin Methodist College Giles County. Martin Methodist College 433 W Madison St. Pulaski, Tn 38478 (Submitted on April 15, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 21, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 15, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 504 times since then and 13 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on April 15, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.