Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newtown in Bucks County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Presbyterian Church

Newtown Heritage Walk No. 13

 
 
Old Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., January 28, 2010
1. Old Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.
The Old Presbyterian Church was erected on North Sycamore Street in 1769 to replace the original 1734 log structure that stood a half mile to the west on Swamp Road near the high school and the bypass.

In 1776, George Washington used this church and the session house to hold several hundred Hessian prisoners captured during the Battle of Trenton before they were marched to Philadelphia and exchanged for American soldiers. When the building was renovated in 1842, workers discovered a poem written in coal on the basement wall by a Hessian soldier. In the graveyard, 22 soldiers of the Revolutionary War are buried.

Today, the congregation uses the old church on Sycamore Street in the summer. The rest of the year, worshippers spend Sunday mornings at the new church located on the corner of Washington Avenue and Chancellor Street, where services were permanently moved in 1921.
 
Erected 2007 by The Newtown Historical Association and The Historic Church Committee of the Newtown Presbyterian Church.
 
Location. 40° 13.919′ N, 74° 56.287′ W. Marker is in Newtown, Pennsylvania, in Bucks County. Marker is on Sycamore Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is about 300 feet
Old Presbyterian Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., January 28, 2010
2. Old Presbyterian Church and Marker
south of the intersection of Sycamore and Jefferson Streets. Marker is in this post office area: Newtown PA 18940, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Elinor Slack Campbell (a few steps from this marker); William Penn's New Town (within shouting distance of this marker); Randall Double House (within shouting distance of this marker); Brooks House (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Newtown Common & Creek (about 700 feet away); Boyd-Yardley House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Newtown Borough Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Newtown War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newtown.
 
Also see . . .
1. The Historic Newtown Presbyterian Church. (Submitted on April 16, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. The Old Presbyterian Church. (Submitted on April 16, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Newtown Heritage Walk. (Submitted on April 16, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.War, US Revolutionary
 
Old Presbyterian Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., January 28, 2010
3. Old Presbyterian Church and Marker
View of the Old Presbyterian Church Photo on Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., January 28, 2010
4. View of the Old Presbyterian Church Photo on Marker
View of the Session House and Old Presbyterian Church Photo on Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., January 28, 2010
5. View of the Session House and Old Presbyterian Church Photo on Marker
Old Presbyterian Church Entrance image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., January 28, 2010
6. Old Presbyterian Church Entrance
Old Presbyterian Church East Facade image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., January 28, 2010
7. Old Presbyterian Church East Facade
Old Presbyterian Church NRHP Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., January 28, 2010
8. Old Presbyterian Church NRHP Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 16, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 813 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on April 17, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement